Hoosier Railroad Ghosts
Finding the reflections of what once was in what is.
|Danville Interurban Bridge|
Location: At the north end of Ellis Park, on the east side of town. From the US 36 (Main Street) entrance, follow the main road back to the Playscape playground; there are parking spaces next to it. The bridge remains are behind the playground along the creek. There is a footbridge across the creek a little ways to the north.
|History: The Indianapolis
& Western completed the line to Danville in 1906; the Terre Haute, Indianapolis
& Eastern took over the line soon after. The tracks followed what is
now US 36. When the highway was made 4 lanes, it was widened on top of the
grade from Avon east. A power substation, possibly also the Avon depot,
was once located on the northwest corner of SR 267 and US 36. Along Old
36 (East Main St), the track paralleled the road on the north side. They
separated where the road turned southwest, and the tracks northwest to go
over the bridge and embankment into the north end of town. The route was
abandoned by 1930 and never made part of the Indiana Railroad. The embankment
was leveled sometime between 1946 and 1958. Playscape was finished in late
3/28/04: "Laura Elizabeth Rudie, of Danville, died of massive head and neck injuries after she fell from the concrete skeleton of an old interurban bridge just east of the Ellis Park playground beside White Lick Creek." Read pdf's of articles on her death. Indianapolis Star 1, 2, Westside Flyer.
4/5/04: Danville is dicussing demolishing the abutment.
|What's left: One complete abutment, the base of the other, and the east embankment. Possibly a felled line pole as well. The playground, while not "left," pays omage to the THI&E.|
|Map: 2002 aerial (from Hendricks County); 1946 aerial showing route into Danville (from EACI).|
Photos: Taken 9/30/02